Memories of Cardwell
Cardwell -- The Town
November 29, 2017
(re-written from original article by Roy Millegan)
The lower end of the North Boulder valley was a long way from stores back in the 1860s and 70s. Settlers had to travel long distances, sometimes to Pony or Boulder, and ford one of several rivers which included the Jefferson and the Boulder. By 1872, mail service was available at either Cold Springs or Jefferson Island. When the Northern Pacific Railroad arrived in 1890, a depot and telegraph office were opened at what was then called Jefferson Island. In 1895, a bridge was completed over the Jefferson which made travel between Jeffers...