RECIPE OF THE WEEK: Hot Chocolate Cookies
December 28, 2022
Hot chocolate does a fine job of warming people up on cold winter days. This rich and creamy beverage is enjoyed many ways, with some people floating miniature marshmallows on top or adding a touch of liqueur for an adult treat. Of course, hot chocolate is equally delicious topped with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.
What if you could replicate the taste of hot chocolate in a cookie? That's just what happens with this recipe for Hot Chocolate Cookies courtesy of creator Rachel Perry and American Lifestyle magazine. Enjoy them on their own, or paired with a mug of hot cocoa. Recipe makes 24.
1/2 cup butter
1 12oz bag semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8oz semisweet baking chocolate, cut into 1-inch pieces
12 large marshmallows, sliced in half
1. Place the butter and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat on high for 1 minute. Stir, and then heat for 30 seconds; repeat until chocolate is melted.
2. Beat the brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract together on medium speed, and then blend in the chocolate mixture.
3. Add the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix on low until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop 12 tablespoons of dough onto each cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 12 minutes, remove from oven, and top each cookie with 1 piece of chocolate and 1 piece of marshmallow. Bake for another 4 minutes, and let cool for 5 minutes before placing on wire racks to cool completely.